Monday, February 14, 2005

Welcome to Talk Hard Be Heard!

This site began as part of my "Peace Project" for a class taught by Mari Matsuda at Georgetown University Law Center. The blog will post my thoughts and observations on three main areas: 1) Issues related to War, Peace, and Foreign Relations; 2) Issues related to positive peace - especially race and class issues both here in the United States, and abroad; and 3) LDS Perspectives on war and peace.

Disclaimer: I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (a Mormon, if you like). I have begun a project for the J. Reuben Clark Law Society (a group that studies the nexus between faith and the law) to examine LDS Perspectives on war and peace. Commonly, people view our membership as stereotypically conservative; and I dare say that most members consider themselves aligned with conservative politics and "traditional values."

The history of our church includes times when the United States Government essentially declared war on the Mormons - driving them West, and attempting in some cases to "exterminate" them (Missouri issued "extermination" orders to eradicate Mormons from within its jurisdiction). Church leaders uniformly challenge the leaders of nations to seek peaceful resolutions to conflict. We also believe, however, in "honoring and sustaining" our governments (wherever we may live); and thus feel compelled to comply with a call to arms (such as the draft in WWII).

My project will focus on several topics (the scope is not entirely finalized): 1) whether war is ever justified, and if so, under what conditions; 2) LDS perspectives on how to attain "positive peace" (rather than the mere absence of war); and 3) a consideration of conscientious objectors to war within the Mormon theological and social context.

As I work through the material for that topic, I will periodically post quotations and thoughts to spawn discussion (a.k.a. push-back), and invite you to respond.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: I have personally invited many of you to participate in this blog. Each of those invited are near and dear to me - you are free to post anonymously, but I would rather that people be honest both in their postings and their identity. So, I ask only that we show respect for one another - and each person's opinion. Nothing is "stupid." If you cannot think of a reasonable counterargument - please refrain from responding until you can - don't just react - think it through. (I promise to refrain from reactionary postings as well . . . )

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like an interesting project. I'm excited to see it all in action.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home